A sad reality
I live in a condo complex that has a pool. So the other day, Hunter and i went down to the pool for a little while. There was a little boy the same age as Hunter with his dad there. So, inevitably the boys swam together. At one point I heard the little boy ask Hunter about his dad. To which Hunter replied, "i dont have a dad." And of course the little boy starts saying ,'yes you do, everyone has a dad' and that's about the point where his father intervened.
Now, this is not an uncommon question or answer for Hunter. His father hasn't seen him in over 2 1/2 years and even before then he was always in-and-out of his life. I've always talked to him about it and explained to him that not everyone has a dad or even a mom. I always made it seem like its no big deal and for him its just the way it is he really doesn't know any different. However, i found that since he started kindergarten last year, it seems to be bothering him a lot now. I think he sees all his friends at school with their dads and feels like he's missing out on something. Now, he gets sad when he tells people he doesn't have a dad, and he'll say things like he wishes he had a dad. He knows who is father is, but since he isn't part of his life anymore he thinks he'll get a "new" dad someday. And i want you to know that he does have a father figure in his life. My grandfather, who is only 67, and Hunter are extremely close. They do so much together, and my son wants to be just like him when he grows up. I mean, they go out lobstering together, to motorcycle shows, all sorts of stuff. I couldn't ask for a better father figure for him. They are truely two peas in a pod. When they made fathers day gifts at school he made it for his papa. But even still, there is a small void in his life that neither myself nor my grandfather can fill.
It just breaks my heart.





























ITK code for Good Golly Miss Blondie:
Claim code for Good Golly Miss Blondie:
15 comments:
It breaks my heart just reading it....you are right to always tell him everyone has a dad and mom and one day he will understand it and you will have done the right thing!
Even though Ned sees his dad and has overnight visits, I know what you mean. I go anywhere with him where other moms are (dance class) and I get the "what does your husband do?" because they assume I am married. I make sure that I talk to Ned about his dad and even though I can't stand him, I say positive things because I want him to love us both equally and not feel guilty. But it must be hard, especially for little boys, when they don't have a dad in their life.
You are doing an awesome job as a mom, don't forget it!
I wanted to tell you - go check this out - you might like it - http://www.jennsylvania.com/.
Talking about Brett Michaels.....
how sad and sweet at the same time.
It's normal for your son to realize that his family is different than many. As long as he knows he is loved and has parental figures - he will be fine. Are there some books you could find that speak to this> I am sure there are.
Aw. You know, there are so many ways families "look" these days. I love that you show your son that *love* is what makes your family grow. It must be hard to see him sad, but your strength and purpose seems to make it that much more meaningful for him. YOU are his world. Well, you and his friends, and his grandpa, and his teacher, and the lady in the grocery store, the kid in the park... :)
what a heart breaker. people can be so insensitive, but sometimes it's the innocent query of a child that hurts the most.
he will be alright, especially with such a great relationship with your grandfather
Thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging words. Swirl girl- i never even thought about looking for a book on this topic, i'm gonna get right on that! Thanks!
Miss Blondie - I hail (originally) from Framingham MA...whereyouat?
I always look to children's books (hopefully written from a child's perspective) to help explain things to my kids.
AWWW That is so sweet! At least he seems to deal with it fine.. I'm sure it WAAAAY harder for you to hear... Kids can be so hurtful even when they don't mean to be.. It's awesome he has such a great relationship with his Grandpa though!!
Swirl girl- i'm in Quincy, so not to to far from framingham. How long ago did you live our wonderful state of taxachusetts??
okay I need this C&P blog you are talking about.
nevermind my last comment LOL i am a nerd
Thats very sad, poor little guy. I am sure once he grows up and becomes a daddy himself, he will remember this and be an excellent daddy. I am glad he has his grandfather at least.
Born and raised there. Graduated from B.U. in '86. Fled in 1990 when my parents retired to warmer climate. Never looked back. Hate winter with a passion.
That has to be incredibly tough on you and him. Hugs!
Post a Comment