Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Public Service Announcement...Don't Do Drugs

I can never work in a childrens hospital. I just did surgery on a 22 yr old boy to put a drain in his brain. He had cerebral spinal fluid building up on his brain. His roomates said he had been doing ecstasy for a month , he developed mono from it, which then led to bacterial meningitis. 22 years old. He's basically knocking on heavens door at the moment. Normally things like this don't affect me at all, i've learned over the years of doing this to detach myself, however this really kind of hit a nerve. I'm not sure if it was his age and he hadn't lived yet or because he was out having a "good" time and really had no idea what the long-term effects could be, that really bothers me. It was almost as if i watching it unfold in a movie. You always hear of these types of sad stories and think, "oh, thats so sad, too bad," but to actually experience it (even this way) gives you a whole new perspective. If he lives through this...which unfortunately is a small chance, he's not going to be anything like he used to be.
It seriously makes me want to go home and tell my seven year old never to do drugs. I feel fortunate in the sense that i can teach him how bad they really are just through what i've witnessed at work. When we brought the patient back to the ICU, his family was in the waiting area, i couldn't even look at them. It broke my heart. Such a young life....wasted. And it didnt have to be this way.
Unfortunately, bacterial meningitis is extremely contagious, so extra precautions are being taken on my behalf. Like a shower before i go home. I most certainly dont want to be taking this home to my little boy. We took off everything that we were wearing from home, i.e. earrings, watches, rings, i even put hospital socks on over my own. So, i'm actually gonna head down to the locker room to shower now...i just really needed to clear my head of all these thoughts racing through it.

So my PSA: DON'T DO DRUGS!! IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!


Photobucket

7 comments:

Outnumbered2to1 Wednesday, February 04, 2009  

Okay, first I'm humbled and awed that you are a brain surgeon. Second, this was a beautifully written post about a tragic situation.

Miss Blondie Thursday, February 05, 2009  

LOL, Oh no, i'm not a brain surgeon. I'm an OR nurse. I scrub in surgery and assist the surgeons.

Helen Thursday, February 05, 2009  

ohh, what a day. My kids are teens and I worry about things like this (and lots of other things!) I'm a nurse too and I worked in the ER of a Children's Hospital for many years. There are some experiences I had there that will stay with me forever.
Poor boy his his poor family. What a terrible tragedy.

Michelle Thursday, February 05, 2009  

Hi Blondie, thanks for the advice!

This is hard even for me to read, I can't imagine experiencing it the way you did. Recently I've had friends of friends die of over doses. It really is a complete and total waste of life.

I think you should talk to Hunter about these things if you think he's old enough. Knowing what an effect this experience had on you I think the memory of you discussing it with him and the look on your face will last a life time.

try to make it through the rest of the day. feel better

Michelle

Sarah Friday, February 06, 2009  

Do you know how awesome it is to see a person who takes other people to heart in such a way? I understand that this is brutal. But you have heart to care not only about the patient but about his family as well. Thank you for being a technicolor person in a black and white world.

ss_blog_claim=3be6c8d8b7f9a2e6c3d5ba19bed9dd3c ITK code for Good Golly Miss Blondie: Claim code for Good Golly Miss Blondie: ss_blog_claim=3be6c8d8b7f9a2e6c3d5ba19bed9dd3c

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP